Team Inspector Initial Training
To maximise the flexibility of the inspector body, new applicants for Team Inspector training are now trained for deployment both as Compliance Team Inspectors and as Team Inspectors for Educational Quality Inspections (EQIs). This will enable them to contribute to the inspection of regulatory compliance in Regulatory Compliance Inspections (RCIs) and Focused Compliance Inspections (FCIs) and also to undertake inspection of the quality of provision and outcomes for pupils in Educational Quality Inspections (EQIs). The latter focus on the key areas of achievement (in its widest sense) and personal development. After the training, applicants will have acquired a wide range of inspection skills, and will also be familiar with the full range of inspection activities under the new Framework which will be useful for their own schools’ preparation for inspection.
Team Inspectors work with others as part of the inspection team, led by the Reporting Inspector.
The following attributes are essential requirements:
- Clear understanding of, and commitment to, safeguarding children and young people
- Currently a serving teacher in an Association school inspected by ISI
- Have at least three years’ experience at Head, Deputy or Senior Management level, or of whole school responsibility, or of leadership of a key transitional phase
- Intend to continue working in an Association school for at least another four years
- Have experience of working in two or more schools in the last ten years (desirable)
- Have qualified teacher status (desirable)
- Have experience as a governor of an independent school (desirable)
- A good knowledge of the regulatory framework applicable to independent schools
- Ability to analyse, gather, record and use evidence to make sound judgements
- Be able to demonstrate clear organisational skills and understanding of the importance of time management
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate sensitively and clearly on compliance matters
- Competent user of standard software applications including Microsoft Office
- Availability and willingness to commit to at least one inspection each year, and be available once a year to be called upon as a reserve
- Availability and willingness to undertake travel to locations across the UK
For further details please refer to the Team Inspector Recruitment and Deployment Procedure.
Due to the nature of ISI’s work successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced level Disclosure and Barring Service check (at the candidate’s expense). Other recruitment checks, including references, will also be completed in advance of training and deployment.
After successfully meeting the training requirements, trainees will be assigned to an inspection team as a full team member with probationary status. Team Inspectors are expected to undertake at least one inspection per year and will be required to complete regular update training, and they are also expected to keep abreast of developments and information released by ISI.
Fees for the training will be covered by ISI and trainees are expected to meet the costs for any accommodation and travel required. An honorarium is paid for each inspection, plus expenses.